Helpful Renovation & DIY Tips
Looking for your next DIY project? Perhaps you need some inspiration on how to make your house a home? Our growing library of how-to's, DIY tutorials, and home improvement articles are here to guide you through your DIY adventures.
How to Install: New Locks
How to Install: New Locks
How secure do you feel with your door locks?
Have you moved to a new home and are wondering how many spare keys there could be out there? Or maybe your locks are getting old and the keys are starting to get stuck, making it difficult to open your door. Bamfield Builders Supply can help! If you have been trying to fix your lock with graphite or by tightening the screws but see no improvement, it could be time for a new lock.
Deadbolts or a lock and deadbolt combination provide the best security. There are also pick-resistant locks available for an even higher level of security.
Rekeying is an easy and lower-cost option for replacing your lock, but be aware that rekeying will not work if the lock is damaged. If your lock is in good condition and you just want to change the key, you can buy a rekeying kit to change the pins inside the lock.
Installing new conventional locks on your home’s entry doors is an easy DIY project that won’t take much time and will be easy on your budget. All you need is a screwdriver!
If your door already has locks, you only need to find replacement locks in the style you like that fit the existing holes. You’ll find a variety of styles and types of locks to choose from at your local hardware store.
Keyless Smart Locks
If you are tired of searching for your keys, consider replacing your lock with a smart lock. It will likely take more out of your budget than a traditional lock, but there are more affordable editions being introduced every day.
Most smart locks are compatible with Apple and Android systems to give you the convenience of remote operation with your phone.
You can also connect your smart lock to your security system to get alerts when someone enters or exits your home.
It is important to know that Bluetooth-only smart locks work within a limited range, so check if it will meet your needs before buying.
Steps for Installing Conventional Door Locks
Step 1 – Determine if you will need to change the locks on all your doors.
If you want to use the same key for every door – front, side and back – this is easy to do. If you want to use the same key in more than one lock, you can buy a double set that is keyed alike. Follow the instructions to install the door lock you have purchased.
Step 2 – Measure before buying new door knobs and latch
Measure your existing door locks to help you purchase the correct size lock. You will need to know the back set (distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the lock), and the diameter of the holes.
Your local hardware store will help you find the right lock, and to make it even easier, you can purchase the same brand and size as your current lock for a perfect fit.
Step 3 – Remove old door knobs and latch
- Once you have chosen your new door knob and lock set, you can get started.
- Unscrew the two screws on the doorknob and pull apart the door knobs on both the inside and outside.
- Unscrew the screws on the face plate on the side edge of the door, and slide the bolt out.
- Finally, unscrew and remove the latch plate from the door jamb.
Step 4 – Install new door knob and lock
- Now insert the new bolt into the opening on the outside edge of the door.
- Insert the new knobs or levers in the door hole, and screw the screws in place.
Step 5 – Test your lock
- Make sure your new lock works by locking and unlocking your door a few times. You may need to make adjustments if your door is not opening and closing properly.
Steps for Installing a Smart Lock
You will need:
- Smart lock and accessories
- Phillips screwdriver
- Smartphone or tablet
- Installed smart lock app
- Other tools as directed by your smartphone manufacturer
Basic steps to install a smart lock:
- Make sure your door is well aligned in the door frame and that it opens and closes properly.
- Remove your old lock and save the screws, just in case!
- Measure the distance from the edge of door to the centre of the door knob hole to make sure the setback is the correct distance for your lock, usually 2-3/8” or 2-3/4”. You’ll also need to make sure your door is the right thickness for your smart lock.
- Slide in the deadbolt latch, centre it and fasten with two small screws.
- Install the strike plate.
- Install the keypad on the front of the door, with the cable positioned under the deadbolt latch. Take care to keep the keypad straight.
- On the inside of the door, install the mounting bracket.
- Guide the wire through the mounting bracket hole.
- Secure the mounting bracket.
- Attach the cable from the keypad to the connector on the inside of the lock.
- Place the tailpiece in the horizontal position and place it through the mounting bracket and the deadbolt latch.
- Screw in the two pre-installed screws inside the lock’s battery cover.
- Test your lock by turning the thumb turn. If it does not move smoothly, then you’ll need to make some adjustments.
If you need more information or have questions, visit Bamfield Builders Supply. Our team is always ready to help you with what you need. We're here to assist you in any way we can.
Disclaimer: The information and resources in these articles and on this website are available for informational and educational purposes only. The articles provided on this website are created with every reasonable effort to ensure completeness and accuracy. In doing so, the article writers, publishers, and the business that this website represents assume no responsibility for errors, omissions, or opposed interpretation of the articles and under no circumstance will these parties be held liable for any direct, indirect and/or consequential damages of any kind incurred from undertaking tasks outlined in the articles or on this website. In addition, it is suggested that readers check by-laws, zoning laws and building codes of your local area and country.
- How To: Freshen Up Your Grout Lines (for $2 or less!) (Home Maintenance)
- How To Silence Floor Squeaks (Home Maintenance)
- Paying Attention To Your Windows (Home Maintenance)
- 10 Decluttering Projects That May Change Your Life (Home Maintenance)